SmartSurvey offers two different multiple choice question types: a multiple choice question which allows respondents to only select one option from a list of choices, and a multiple choice question with the option to select multiple answers. An easy way to spot the difference in an existing survey is that the former will have a circular radio buttons next to the answer choices (or a single drop-down menu) and the latter will have square checkboxes.
This question type can be used to create Rating and Likert scale questions.
Creating Multiple Choice Questions with One Answer
To create your muiltiple choice question:
- Click Add Question on your survey.
- Type your question in the Question Text field.
- In the Question Type drop-down menu, select Multiple Choice (Only One Answer).
- Select a layout for how your answers should appear with in the Display Options drop-down menu.
- In the Answer Choices field, type each answer on it's own line.
- Click the green Add Question button to add the question to your survey.
Optionally, you can select and customise pre-defined answer choices by selecting an item from the Pre-made drop-down menu.
Customising Multiple Choice Questions
Multiple choice questions with one answer can be displayed in three ways:
- Vertical list - Ideal for a long list of answers with the ability to list them in 1, 2, 3 or 4 columns.
- Horizonal list - Ideal for a short list of answers, or when using this as a Likert or Rating scale. If you want to use a horizontal layout with a long list of questions, you can group your answers into columns to make them more compact.
- Drop-down menu - Great way to display a long list of answers in a compact format.
When you build a multiple choice question with one answer, you can customise it with the following additional fields and options:
|Add Other field
||Adds an "Other" text box option below your multiple choice answer list, allowing respondents to type their answer if it's not listed.
|Add Comment field
||Adds a free text field underneath the question. Useful if you would like respondents to add comments.
|Require an Answer to this Question
||Forces the respondent to select an answer before they can progress to the next page.
|Randomise, Sort or Flip Answer Choices
||Allows you to control the order that the answers are presented: randomly, in alphabetical order, and so on. Useful to help you avoid bias.
|Question Size and Positioning
||Lets you control the size, positioning, appearance and numbering of your question. You can also set a default answer, and hide the question without deleting it.