A matrix of choices displays several variables for each question. This is sometimes referred to as a Rating Scale or a Likert Scale depending on how it's set up. The respondent can select an answer for each variable in the list. This is typically used to gather feedback for various aspects of a service or product.
For example, if a hotel wants feedback, it could ask respondents to rate different aspects of their visit, such as comfort, cleanliness, price and service. Then, the respondent could choose a good, average or poor rating on each row.
This question type allows you to collect a large amount of feedback in a compact way. For a usability perspective, this can be better than having lots of separate questions, and it helps to group answers semantically.
Caution: Avoid building excessively long matrix questions, because they may cause performance problems on the respondent's device. An exceptionally long matrix question can be difficult to navigate, and can result in rushed responses or abandoned surveys.
Creating a Matrix of Choices With One Answer Per Row
To create your question:
- Click Add Question on your survey.
- Type your question in the Question Text field.
- In the Question Type drop-down menu, select Matrix of Choices (One Answer Per Row).
- In the Row Choices field, type the answers you want your respondent to evaluate. These will appear vertically down the left-hand side of your matrix. Ensure each answer is typed on its own line.
- In the Column Choices field, type the possible responses. These will appear horizontally across the top of your matrix. Ensure each response is typed on its own line.
- Click the green Add Question button to add the question to your survey.
Check the box for Make this a single-row rating scale if you do not need multiple Rows. This will just display the column headings, each with a radial button below.
Optionally, you can customise pre-defined answer choices by selecting an item in the Pre-made drop-down menu.
Customising a Matrix of Choices
When you build a matrix of choices with one answer per row, you can customise it with the following additional fields and options:
|Add Comment field
||Adds a free text field underneath the question.
|Require an Answer to this Question
||Forces the respondent to select an answer before they can progress to the next page.
|Randomise, Sort or Flip Answer Choices
||Lets you control the order that the answers are presented: randomly, in alphabetical order, and so on.
|Allow Only One Response Per Column
||Prevents the user from selecting multiple responses in the same column.
|Question Size and Positioning
||Lets you control the size, positioning, appearance and numbering of your question. You can also set a default answer, and hide the question without deleting it.
If you need a question that collects more than one answer per row, see Matrix of Choices - Multiple Answers Per Row.