A matrix of drop-down menus allows the user to type more than one answer per question, using the pre-defined drop-down menus on the page. Use this question type to collect multiple answers, while also restricting the content of those answers.
All of the drop-down menus in your matrix will contain the same options.
Creating Questions With a Matrix of Drop-Down Menus
To create your drop-down menu matrix:
- Click Add Question on your survey.
- Type your question in the Question Text field.
- In the Question Type drop-down list, select Matrix of Drop-Down Menus.
- In the Row Choices field, type the text that will appear on the left-hand side of your textboxes. Ensure each one is typed on its own line.
- In the Column Choices field, type the text that will appear horizontally across the top of your textbox columns. Ensure each one is typed on its own line.
- In the Drop-Down Choices field, type the options that will appear in your drop-down menus.
Optionally, you can customise pre-defined answer choices by selecting an item in the Pre-made drop-down list.
Customising a Matrix of Drop-Down Menus
When you build a matrix of drop-down menus, you can customise it with the following additional fields and options:
|Add Comment field
||Adds a free text field underneath the question.
|Require an Answer to this Question
||Forces the respondent to select an answer before they can progress to the next page.
|Randomise, Sort or Flip Answer Choices
||Lets you control the order that the answers are presented: randomly, in alphabetical order, and so on.
|Question Size and Positioning
||Lets you control the size, positioning, appearance and numbering of your question. You can also set a default answer, and hide the question without deleting it.