Email triggers allow you to automatically send an email to specified recipients when their survey response is submitted.
Creating an Email Trigger
To create an email trigger:
- Go to the Survey Design page of your survey
- In the white navigation bar at the top of the screen, hover your mouse pointer over Options
- From the drop-down menu, click Email Triggers
- Click the green Add Email Trigger button then select Create From Scratch from the drop-down menu
- Fill in the detaills for Sender Email Address and To Email. Use a semicolon to separate email addresses if you want to send the email to multiple recipients
- Add the email content in Body
- Optionally, check Include survey response as PDF attachment to send the recipient a copy of the survey answers
- Click the green Save Email Trigger button
Using Piping in Email Triggers
You can use piping to import information into the To Email, Subject and Body fields of an email trigger. For example, you could automatically populate the To Email field with the respondent’s email address.
Information can be piped from your contact list, your survey answers, and survey variables (including custom variables). Under any field click Insert Piping and select the variable you want to use from the drop-down menu.
Following on from the example above, the steps to use an email address as a custom variable for your survey in a triggered email are below:
- Under To Email, choose Email Address from the drop down menu
- Click Insert
- [contact(email)] will appear in the To Email box
It is possible to make email triggers be conditional on the answers to particular questions. See Conditional Email Triggers for more details.
Email triggers are only available on the Enterprise Edition.