You can export the summary results or responses to your survey using the Export tool.
To create an export, click on the results tab of the survey, then choose “Export” from the white menu bar.
The new page does have a built-in help tour, and if you want to view this again, click the question mark to the right of the “Create Export” subtitle.
If you have a retention limit on reports, it will be displayed in a message box above the exporter page. After the retention time has passed, older reports will be deleted. However, the schedule of a Scheduled Report does not expire, only the reports that are generated by it.
The Export Page Layout
The page is designed so that the most frequently-used functions are easy to see and access. The page is split into two main areas. On the left is the “Create Export” area, and on the right is an area where you can switch between viewing previously-run exports, or viewing scheduled exports.
This is the area where you set up, customise and schedule your exports. It has three main sections:
This is where you define the most important elements of the export.
- Name: Set a name for your export for future reference. This doesn’t set the file name.
- Type: Choose the type of export you want to run:
- Raw Response Data: All responses in a table (CSV, XLSX, SAV, TSV)
- Summary Data: Summarised data similar on the in-app summary report. (XLSX, DOCX)
- Individual Responses: All responses in Q and A format as on the in app “responses” tab. (PDF, DOCX)
- Cross-tab: Compare all answers given in the survey against the answers given to a defined question (XLSX)
- Format: Choose the file format for the export. The allowable formats vary depending on the chosen type.
Individual Responses cannot be exported when the survey contains more than 1000 responses. Cross-tabs cannot be exported where a survey contains fewer than two multiple choice (as opposed to free response) questions.
Excel exports are limited to a maximum of approximately 500,000 responses. If your report contains more than 500,000 responses, you can apply filters to your report and export each file individually. You can then combine the files outside of SmartSurvey in Excel.
This section is where you define the specific contents of the exports. The options on this section vary based on the chosen export type. The following links explain the options for each export type.
Response Data Export Options
Summary Data Export Options
Individual Response Export Options
Cross-Tab Export Options
Email / Schedule
- Send Export by Email: Sends the exported file as an email attachment to the addresses provided in the box. Each new address should go on a new line.
- Customise Email: You can customise the email that’s sent by the above function. Click “Edit Email Message” to open a WYSIWYG editor.
- Schedule Export: Create scheduled and recurring exports. Set the number of occurences, the frequency, and the date and time of the first run.
Latest and Scheduled Exports
On the right hand side of the page is the area showing details of previously-run and scheduled exports.
Latest Exports List
Here you can see the list of recent exports. Either manually initiated or run based on a schedule.
Each row in the table shows a recent export, along with the time and date it was run, its status and they type of export. On the right hand of each row is a download icon and 3 dots for further options.
Click the three dots for these options:
- Re-run Export: you can re-run a previous export with the same or modified settings.
- Edit Export Name: Change the name of the export
- Delete Export: Delete the export.
Scheduled Exports List
This shows the upcoming scheduled exports.
Each row shows a scheduled export, along with the time and date it is planned to run next. There is also information as to the recurrence frequency and export type. Here you can rename exports, edit scheduled exports, and delete or cancel future exports.
Clicking on the 3 dots icon opens the following options:
- Update Export Schedule: Change all of the settings of the export for future runnings.*
- Edit Export name: Change the name.
- Delete Export Schedule: Delete the schedule before the export runs again.
- Stop Export Schedule: Prevent the scheduled export from running, but it will still appear in the list.
*This option is not available for exports that were created using the older version of the exporter.